SPECIALTIES: Health Care Law, Professional Liability Defense Litigation, Health Information Technology and Risk Management
Tom Hanes has over forty years of health care experience, both as a hospital administrator and as an attorney representing hospitals, physicians and other health care providers. Tom has thirty-five years of litigation experience representing large and small hospitals, physicians from every subspecialty and other health care providers in Virginia and Federal courts, and before Virginia regulatory and licensing agencies.
He has presented to numerous health care groups including physicians, nurses and other allied health professionals on risk management, medical records/confidentiality issues, preparation and trial of medical malpractice cases, and other health care topics. He has also represented health care providers on behalf of the Commonwealth of Virginia Division of Risk Management in cases involving medical malpractice and constitutional claims, from the dispositive pretrial motion stage through the appellate process. Tom also has Hospital administrative/operational experience managing clinical and ancillary departments in two large university-affiliated medical centers.
- United States District Court, Western District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- JD, University of South Carolina School of Law
- MHA ,Virginia Commonwealth University
- BA, University of Virginia
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American College of Health Care Executives
- Virginia Chapter of the American Society for Health Care Risk Management